PRINCIPAL & FOUNDER
Mark E. Rooney
Mark E. Rooney, attorney at law, is the principal and founder of The Rooney Firm PLLC. His practice centers on the defense of consumer litigation under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and other consumer protection laws.
Mark also has represented numerous financial institutions in civil litigation and government investigations involving the Fair Housing Act (FHA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), and the False Claims Act (FCA), often relating to mortgage origination and servicing practices. He has extensive experience defending banks in FHA cases brought by municipalities seeking generalized damages from foreclosures and has defended against counterclaims filed in connection with foreclosures.
Mark is a member of the Mortgage Bankers Association and ACA International, and currently serves as co-chair of the American Bar Association’s subcommittee on FDCPA and TCPA litigation.
Before opening his own firm, Mark represented clients in litigation and defended clients against government enforcement actions and investigations for over 10 years at two prominent consumer financial services practices in Washington, DC.
A native Hoosier, Mark maintains deep connections to the Midwest and is licensed to practice in numerous federal courts in Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan. Mark received his J.D. (magna cum laude, Order of the Coif) from the University of Miami School of Law, where he was the Senior Articles Editor of the University of Miami Law Review and a teaching assistant in constitutional law. He earned his B.A. from Syracuse University (cum laude). Before law school, he served as a press secretary on Capitol Hill for over three years and as a manager of the Salt Lake 2002 Olympic Torch Relay.
Affiliations & Leadership
• Member, Mortgage Bankers Association
• Member, ACA International
• Member, American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Litigation
• Member, ABA Committee on Consumer Finance Litigation
• Co-Chair, ABA Subcommittee on FDCPA & TCPA Litigation
• Member, ABA Committee on Pre-Trial Practice and Discovery
• Chair, DC Bar Consumer Finance Litigation Committee
• Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll (2016, 2017, 2018)
Publications & Appearances
Quote: Mark Rooney quoted in ABA Litigation News feature examining FCRA and FACTA standing issues: Courts Split on Whether Receipts Confer Article III Standing (May 3, 2019).
Article: High Court Decision on Non-judicial Foreclosures May Have Limited Impact, Thomson Reuters—Westlaw Journal of Bank & Lender Liability (Apr. 29, 2019).
Article: Can the FDCPA’s One-Year Statute of Limitations Be Expanded under the “Discovery Rule”? Supreme Court Will Decide, InsideARM (Feb. 26, 2019).
Article: Supreme Court Weighs Application of FDCPA to Non-judicial Foreclosures, Mortgage Bankers Association Insights (Jan. 21, 2019).
Panelist: American Bar Association—Section of Litigation Roundtable, The Evolving Definition of an Automatic Telephone Dialing System under the TCPA (Dec. 11, 2018).
Article: The Evolving Definition of an Auto-dialer under the TCPA, American Bar Association—Consumer Litigation Committee (Dec. 6, 2018).
Article: CFPB Issues Rule regarding Payday, Title, Deposit Advance, and Certain Other Installment Loans, Thomson Reuters—Westlaw Journal of Bank & Lender Liability (Oct. 30, 2017).
Article: Fate of Municipal-Plaintiff FHA Suits in Justices’ Hands, Law360 (June 28, 2016).
Article: Credit Information Furnishers’ Duty to Investigate under FCRA, Bloomberg Law Reports—Banking & Finance, Vol. 4 No. 8 (2011).
Article: FACTA: Will Dodd-Frank Further Expand Consumers’ Control of Their Credit Data?, Consumer Fin’l Servs. Law Rpt., Vol. 14, Issue 18 (Mar. 16, 2011).
• District of Columbia
• New York
• U.S. Supreme Court
• U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
• U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
• U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
• U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
• U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
• U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI SCHOOL OF LAW
J.D., 2006 (magna cum laude)
• Senior Articles Editor, U. of Miami Law Review
• Member, Moot Court Board
• Fellow, Center for Ethics & Public Service
• Intern, U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry L. Garber
• Order of the Coif
B.A., 1997 (cum laude)